Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Photoshop Technique Folio Proposal

Introduction:

Whilst researching for this Folio assignment, it occurred to me that most of the advanced techniques utilsed in Photoshop ultimately involved the blending of the human form with other cretaures, flora  tor the he inanimate. Specifically there is a plenitude of images that distort adapt and modify the human head in a morphing like way.

This fascination stems from most likely a somewhat perverse and fragile connection to the human form, and anything that transcends or impinges on this concept is met with awe.






That lead me on a search to find examples of techniques that didn't involve a human or animal component. Not as easy as one might think.

Keen to practice and play with blending modes, I went searching for examples of textures, surfaces and objects that have layered onto other objects, buildings, interiors, machines or landscapes...like for instance giving a TV a brick render...

Another concept was to submit to the trend and attempt a series of images that involve the blending/morphing of animals with machinery.




This one I particularly like as I'm aware that there is a need to apply a blending mode to give the car a skin texture





I'm hoping however to move away from the slightly obvious transport elements and use some machine that is other wise incomplete and static.

The issue being that a lot of these images aren't supported by how they were achieved in as much as without knowing what specific techniques can achieve its difficult to know if they can be or have been used in the examples.. Ironically if you are aware of the technique then likely one is already familiar with it and hence covers no new ground.

This also brings to light the issue I'm having with this proposal, as I cannot really specify my learning/technique objective until I embark upon the project and search out how to achieve it. For example  the above image would be relatively simple (by first impressions at least), and I have an approximate idea on how the concord-apede is made squirmy. (liquify or transform etc) but cannot be sure. 




Ignoring the fact that this image still uses the human form, the focus is on the adaptation of the dress..and will have used a simple blending mode and layer masks to create the panelling effect on the garment.



More human form ..how is it done? its a case of you don't know what you don't know




Again its all about the face/head

Erik Johansson is one notable exception in respect to his subject matter, but again without knowing what techniques are required to emulate his work, I cannot propose, with any certainty, the techniques I would be using.



So ultimately, I'm at the crossroads..








No comments:

Post a Comment